Gateway Monitoring for High Availability
Avi Vantage supports health monitoring of the first-hop gateway connected to Avi Service Engines (SEs). ICMP echo packets are used for the health monitoring.
Gateway health monitoring is performed for both active and standby Avi SEs.
- Starting with Avi Vantage version 17.2.13, gateway health monitoring is supported for Avi Service Engines configured for elastic HA and legacy HA.
- Additional reference: Avi SE Behavior on Gateway Monitor Failure
Enabling Gateway Health Monitoring
Gateway health monitoring is a part of the cloud configuration. When the monitoring IP address is provided, the SE groups in HA within a particular group will perform the gateway health monitoring.
You can also configure monitoring for multiple gateways. This is typically used in a two-armed deployment where the first-hop gateway used for front-end and back-end connections are different.
When a failure is detected in one of the gateways, a virtual service switchover is triggered.
- Navigate to Infrastructure > Clouds.
- Click on the edit icon next to the name of the cloud to modify the cloud configuration.
- Click on Gateway Monitor.
- Click on Create.
- Enter the gateway information, including IP address, and click on Save.
gateway_mon command to configure monitoring for a specific gateway IP address.
:> configure vrfcontext global
vrfcontext> gateway_mon 192.168.1.10