TACACS+ Configuration Examples
ISE TACACS+ Server
Cisco ISE is a security policy management platform that provides secure access to network resources. Cisco ISE functions as a policy decision point and enables enterprises to ensure compliance, enhance infrastructure security, and streamline service operations.
Given below are steps involved in setting up an ISE TACACS+ server as a remote authentication and authorization system for Avi Vantage.
- The ISE server is generally configured with external Identity Sources (in this case OpenLDAP).
- ISE LDAP settings used to fetch LDAP groups in order to use them for Authorization conditions
- ISE Authorization conditions added for Users in the AD groups
- ISE server should recognize all Avi Vantage Controller cluster nodes as valid Network Devices.
- ISE requires shell profiles and TACACS+ profiles configured.
- ISE device policy sets default condition updated to assign different shell profiles based on group membership.
- The Avi Vantage TACACS+ auth profile should be configured with the same shared secret that was assigned to the device in ISE. The “service” attribute is generally required to identify and authorize a Vantage user. Authorization attributes from a TACACS+ server can be used to map Avi Vantage users to various roles and tenants.
In the case of an ACS server, service=avishell is required for user authorization; while in the case of an ISE server, service=avishell is known to cause authorization failure.
To know more, refer to TACACS+ Authentication
- Avi Vantage TACACS+ authorization role and tenant mapping configured to assign different roles based on TACACS+ attribute value
To know more, refer to User Account Roles.
- TAC_PLUS server is a much simpler alternative to ISE/ACS. This is mostly relevant in development or testing environments. Conceptually, users are assigned to groups and groups have request and response attributes.
- Avi Vantage TACACS+ auth profile is configured the same way as that for ISE or ACS.
Other Articles of Interest:
Protocol Ports Used by Avi Vantage for Management Communication