Traditional, appliance-based load balancing solutions are architecturally restricted in offering automated application deployment and networking services for a containerized application. Without an OpenShift load balancer or Kubernetes load balancer, enterprises lack a scalable and enterprise-class solution to deploy and manage container applications. Critical components like traffic management, service discovery, monitoring/analytics and security leave enterprises looking for a scalable and enterprise-class solution for production app deployments.
Application and Networking Services for OpenShift and Kubernetes
Enterprises adopting OpenShift and Kubernetes need a cloud-native approach for traffic management and application networking services, which Avi Networks provides. Avi Networks delivers a scalable, enterprise-class, and Elastic Service Mesh to deploy and manage business-critical workloads in production environments using OpenShift and Kubernetes clusters.
The Avi Vantage Platform provides a container application networking platform with two major components:
- Avi Controller: A cluster of up to three nodes that provide the control, management and analytics plane for microservices OpenShift. Avi Controller communicates with the OpenShift and Kubernetes master, deploys and manages Avi Service Engines, configures services on all Avi Service Engines and aggregates telemetry data from Avi Service Engines.
- Avi Service Engines: A service proxy deployed on every OpenShift and Kubernetes node providing the application services in the dataplane and reporting real-time telemetry data to the Avi Controller.
Advantages of Avi Vantage and OpenShift Load Balancer
Avi extends to L4-L7 services the automation, elasticity/autoscaling and continuous delivery benefits delivered by Red Hat OpenShift & Kubernetes Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS). Also, Avi provides unprecedented visibility to OpenShift applications showing service dependencies using application maps.
OpenShift Load Balancer and Traffic Management
The Avi Vantage Platform offers enterprise-class load balancing for mission-critical application deployments in OpenShift and Kubernetes clusters.
- Load Balancing for Layer-4 (TCP/UDP) and Layer-7 (HTTP, DNS)
- Global Server Load Balancing (GSLB)
- Session persistence for HTTP cookie, source IP, TLS ticket
- URL switching and redirection
- Content modification for header and payload
- Caching and compression
- Priority pool and traffic migration for blue-green, canary deployment patterns
- Application autoscaling
Monitoring and Analytics
Avi collects over 500 hundred individual metrics and logs every HTTP or TCP/UDP transaction. Avi Controller aggregates this information, making it available via dashboards and REST APIs for quick utilization by network administrators.
OpenShift Networking Security
Avi Vantage offers a secure services fabric for enterprise-class applications deployment. It includes the following security capabilities:
- TLS/SSL protocol offload and secure TLS certificate/key management
- Micro-segmentation for IP address and microservices-based security access policies
- Web Application Firewall (WAF) for Layer7 applications
- DDoS detection and mitigation for Layer4 and Layer7 attacks
Automated Application and Network Services from Red Hat and Avi
- Distributed Service Proxy
- Real-time Application Insights and Visibility
- Predictive Autoscaling
- Web Application Security and Micro-segmentation
- Blue-Green/Canary App Deployment
Red Hat OpenShift Kubernetes Networking Resources
Avi Networks provides comprehensive resources to properly understand, configure, deploy and optimize business-critical workloads in production environments using OpenShift and Kubernetes clusters.