Software defined network, such as Cisco ACI creates highly automated and programmable infrastructure to help enterprises reduce operational costs. Avi integrates with Cisco APIC controller to deliver L4-L7 application services including firewalls and load balancing.
However, today’s complex appliance-based load balancers require IT administrators to manually configure multiple network switches to steer traffic to them. This task is time-consuming and error prone. These hardware ADCs are difficult to automate and deliver self-service experiences to application teams.
Avi Vantage Platform Integration with Cisco ACI Solution
Modern applications require application delivery infrastructure to automatically scale out the capacity of application services in real time. However, with traditional load balancers, adding extra capacity often means manually adding a new appliance – virtual or physical. Administrators need to spend a lot of time defining complex policies and still lack visibility data such as application latency and performance to guarantee SLAs.
Avi Vantage is a software-only Application Delivery Controller (ADC) that integrates Cisco APIC with Avi’s central controller based on a software-defined architecture. Together with Cisco ACI, Avi helps enable Cisco SDN automation using industry’s simplest L4-L7 service insertion for Cisco APIC.
SDN Load Balancing Benefits with
Avi Vantage / Cisco ACI Integration
Avi Vantage / Cisco ACI Integration
The Avi Controller builds a dynamic service fabric by making the Avi Service Engines (load balancers) available to Cisco ACI, on demand. Cisco APIC programs the ACI fabric and communicates with Avi Controller through REST APIs provided by Avi Networks. Avi Vantage provides real-time analytics, application visibility, and elastic application delivery services – such as SSL termination and content acceleration.
- Distributed architecture mirrors Cisco ACI automation with a central controller and distributed data plane
- Delivers self-service for app owners with 100% REST API
- Clear isolation of user roles between the Network Administrator and Load Balancer Administrator
- Load balancing services are decoupled from infrastructure
- Runs on standard x86 servers, dramatically lowering total cost of ownership
- Simplified L4–7 service insertion by configuring the ACI fabric based on policies
- Fully automated, one click deployment of APIC integrated load balancing services
- Automated load balancer provisioning, service insertion through Service Manager Mode using REST APIs
- Day zero automated Service Graphs creation
- Shared Service Graph support for One Contract for Many Virtual Services, reducing number of Contract consumption in ACI fabric
- Delivers powerful inline analytics that complements Cisco APIC’s network visibility with end-to-end (user-to-app) timing information as well as visibility into application data
- IT admins can very quickly pinpoint the source of any service degradation issues and shorten troubleshooting time and effort with searchable TCP / HTTP logs
- Automated fabric provisioning to provide elastic load balancing services, complimenting Cisco APIC centralized policies
- Capacity management in real time by creating an Avi Service Engine and making it available to the Cisco ACI dynamically without human intervention
- Autoscaling load balancers and apps based on real time traffic
Avi Integration with Cisco ACI
for SDN Load Balancing
For Cisco ACI load balancing, the Avi Vantage Platform enables IT teams to quickly roll out network infrastructure and deliver application services in the data center based on centralized policies.