Service Mesh Delivered with Intent
The Avi Vantage Platform delivers intent-based application services (IBAS) such as load balancing for containerized applications with microservices architecture through dynamic service discovery, application maps, and micro-segmentation. Elastic Service Mesh is optimized for North-South (ingress) and East-West traffic management, including local and global load balancing. Avi integrates with OpenShift and Kubernetes for container orchestration and security.
Deliver Scalable, Production-Ready
Containerized Applications with Avi Vantage
Containerized applications based on microservices architecture require a modern, distributed application services platform to deliver a service mesh. Manual inputs are no longer an option for web-scale, cloud-native applications deployed using container technology as microservices. In some instances, container clusters can have tens and hundreds of pods, each containing hundreds and thousands of containers, mandating full automation and policy driven deployments.
Avi Vantage uses a software-defined, scale-out architecture that allows you to specify intent and the IBAS platform does the heavy lifting through built-in analytics and automation in 5 steps:
- Step 1: Deploy a lightweight, distributed service mesh of proxy services alongside nodes in the container cluster
- Step 2: Visualize the interactions between microservices through application maps that adapt and monitor as containers spin up and down
- Step 3: Automate service discovery and dynamically map between a service name and its IP address for ephemeral containers
- Step 4: Collect analytics through Avi Service Engines and provide microservices load balancing with autoscaling based on real-time traffic
- Step 5: Integrate with container orchestration platforms like Kubernetes and OpenShift to automate the deployment and management of containers
Global and Local Traffic Management
Deliver critical application services, such as load balancing, security, and analytics, that are optimized for North-South (ingress) and East-West traffic management including local and global load balancing.
Bridge the gap between a service’s name and access information (IP address) by providing a dynamic mapping between a service name and its IP address.
Achieve constant monitoring and alerting of application performance and health for applications deployed in containers with microservices architecture.
Application and Networking Services for
OpenShift Kubernetes Clusters
Services such as traffic management, service discovery, monitoring/analytics and security remain a critical component for enterprises requiring a scalable and full-featured solution for production app deployments.
Avi Networks provides a proven elastic services mesh to deploy container-based application workloads in production environments using OpenShift Kubernetes clusters.
Global & Local Traffic Management
With an array of network proxies on each node in the container cluster each proxy serves as a gateway between containers and servers. The interactions are visualized in an application map. Enterprise-class application services for containerized applications, orchestrated by platforms like OpenShift and Kubernetes, include:
- Load balancing, health monitoring, TLS/SSL offload, session persistence, content/URL switching, and content modification
- Directing requests to the appropriate site/region based on the availability, locality of the user to the site, site persistence and load
- Content/URL switching, redirection, error page, caching, compression and on-demand autoscaling
Dynamic Service Discovery
Service discovery bridges the gap between a service’s name and access information (IP address) by providing a dynamic mapping. Avi Vantage provides an authoritative DNS server for users’ devices and other services to map host/domain names to virtual IP addresses (VIPs), including:
- Built-in IPAM for virtual IP address allocation
- A variety of DNS configuration options and the ability to add static A and CNAME records to the DNS server
- Continuous Integration and Delivery (CI/CD) and application upgrades using a Blue-Green or canary deployment models
Application Monitoring and Analytics
Analytics is the foundation for intent-based systems to collect, aggregate, accumulate, store, and rollup metrics and logs, especially for containerized applications based on microservices architecture. Avi provides the following features without having to instrument each application:
- Application Map: real-time dynamic map of communications between microservices available as a dependency map. Operators can extract critical metrics such as latency, bandwidth, request rate, etc. across microservices deployment architectures.
- Analytics Dashboard: an end-to-end latency view of all transactions in addition to real-time and historic views of critical metrics such as requests/transaction/connection rate/throughput.
- Log File Analytics: logs of every significant transaction including errors and excessive latencies with built-in analytics by pool member, response time, device type and more.
- Security Analytics a breakdown of TLS/SSL versions, transaction rate, health score based on SSL security profiles and certificates, DDoS analytics including type of attacks, and detection on bots attacks.