Modernize Your Load Balancing with VMware vs. F5
Unlike appliance-based F5 load balancers, VMware NSX Advanced Load Balancer (Avi Networks) takes a modern architectural approach to deliver multi-cloud load balancing and application services across data centers and clouds.
Avi enables enterprise-grade L4-L7 services with real-time analytics and autoscaling for any app, any cloud, and at any scale. Complete your digital transformation and avoid overspending / overprovisioning by using a single software-defined platform rather than appliance-based F5 load balancing solutions for every individual application environment.
Comparing F5 vs. Avi Networks: When comparing traditional load balancers with Avi, an IDC study on the business value of Avi Vantage found that using our 100% software
- Produced 97% faster scaling to capacity
- Resulted in 43% more efficient ADC management
- Lowered operating costs by 47%
- Reduced ADC solution costs by 52%
VMware vs. F5 Comparison
|Load Balancing Requirements||Software Load Balancers
(VMware NSX Advanced Load Balancer)
|Hardware Load Balancers
|Core, enterprise-grade features|
|Multi-Cloud load balancing
(private, public, & hybrid)
|Central control and orchestration|
|Automation and self-service|
|Visibility and analytics|
|Enterprise level API support|
|Integration with container orchestrators|
3 Key Advantages of Avi Networks vs. F5 Capabilities:
Software-Defined vs. Traditional Appliance-Based Architecture
Multi-Cloud Load Balancing
Take advantage of a single elastic fabric to manage across private or public cloud.
- Deploy siloed solutions across data centers and clouds; spend time and money on retooling/retraining for multicloud environments
- Deal with high costs and operational complexities and inconsistencies from disjointed appliance-based load balancers
- Trade off between features and flexibility, and hinder application portability
Central Control & Orchestration
F5 load balancer hardware and virtual appliances do NOT offer a real central controller. Avi controller provides these key advantages:
- A 100% REST API endpoint – with an API-first approach. Every object is API addressable – not an afterthought
- A central brain that automates intelligent decisions such as elastic, on-demand autoscaling based on machine learning algorithms
- An automation framework for the lifecycle management of the load balancing fabric
A software-defined load balancing solution with a central controller is needed because:
- Separation of the control and data planes allows load balancers to autoscale up or down, self-heal for resiliency and auto re-balance traffic
- Hardware load balancers hamper your automation and modernization efforts
- “Deploy as many and manage as one” simplifies operations
Automation & Self Service
Today’s enterprises need to be application-driven but infrastructure often dictates your application decisions. Avi Networks delivers what F5 automation does not:
- Load balancer automation that’s essential to make intelligent decisions, scale, and operationalize multi-cloud application deployments
- Built-in application performance monitoring and visibility into client, security, and application insights that simplify troubleshooting and automate decisions.
- Enable developer self-service with flexibility to deliver per-app load balancing services.
- Eliminate the problems of overprovisioning and overspending by scaling load balancers dynamically.
7 Key Considerations
Before Your Upcoming F5 Load Balancer Refresh
Check out modern load balancing and application services before locking yourself into F5 load balancing using hardware appliances with, multi-year ELAs, and the expensive refresh cycle.
VMware vs. F5: See for Yourself
Automation & Self Service:
Create a VIP